Sunday, April 12, 2009

Space Helmet: Trim, Straps, Etc.

I've done a lot of little things since the last post. The black trim is riveted onto the collar, the resin respirators have been cast, painted and mounted. I put trim around the nose area with a buried wire that has been shaped to fit better. I've attached the two side buckles holding the snout straps. I've added a snap fastener to the front of the collar to hold it in place. And I've antiqued the entire helmet, darkening it up and giving it more character. I am very happy with how it's turning out, and now await the result of the poll to see which accessories I will be adding.







8 comments:

  1. I love the visual jump from before and after the aging. Its always so cool to see it go from something brand new, to a museum artifact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Indy. I am very pleased with the antiquing and now I've learned to have a lot of control over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, that watching this from the start I was a little skeptical, but now... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Metanoia,

    I agree that it took a lot of imagination to see a cool steampunk helmet from that first post. But wait! I still have googles and accessories to add which will take it way beyond where it is now. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I think you can't possibly make anything more brilliant than your last creation - you amaze me again. And it's not even done!

    So! Much! Love! For your work, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really should stop reading backwards. Now this is perfection! I agree with choklit's statement.

    ReplyDelete